American Field

Game Wardon Wins 2018 Running; Chinquapin Bill is Runner-Up

Continental Derby Championship

Feb 05, 2018
The Winner. In foreground, Game Wardon is posed by Tommy Davis, joined by, from left: Bart Goodson, Claudia McNamee, Mike Cheely, Rodney Turner, Luke Eisenhart, Alex Johnson, Randy Floyd, Carol and Les Rowell. Runner-up Chinquapin Bill and handler Ray Warren were unavailable when photo was taken.

Greenville, Fla. — The Continental Derby Championship commenced Monday morning, January 15, at time-honored Dixie  Plantation near Greenville, Fla. Two fine winners were named three days later, Game Wardon, white and liver ticked   pointer male owned by Dr. Fred Corder of Corinth, Miss., awarded the title, and Chinquapin Bill, white and liver  pointer male owned by E. L. (Ted) Baker of Jacksonville, Fla., and handled by Ray Warren, earning runner-up laurels.

This renewal of the Continental trials  was No. 123. The inaugural running was held in 1895 in Morris, Manitoba where the club ran an Open Derby (19 starters) and an Open All-Age (24 starters).

The Continental Open All-Age Championship was first held in 1939, and the Derby counterpart in 1950.

Judges for this renewal were Les Rowell of Greenbrier, Ark., and Kirk Law of Dawson, Ga. They rode at an even pace, a hallmark of those who have served in the judicial saddle. Each dog was given their utmost attention.


Game Wardon arrived at Dixie with five Derby placements on his record, a first in the American Quail Classic Open Derby, a second in the Sunflower Open Derby and three thirds, an amateur Derby win, and an open and amateur all-age placement.

The white and liver ticked pointer male was bred by his owner, Dr. Fred Corder, and the Mississippi medico and  handler Ike Todd played a role in the dog’s early development.

Game Wardon appeared on the first afternoon course the day, having  been carried to the trial by handler Luke Eisenhart.

The afternoon start that day came at 1:53, Game Wardon braced with Lee’s On Target handled by Squire Lee.

They made it through the early minutes of the course in good form, Game Wardon notching a commendable find at 10. He added No. 2 five minutes later.

At 29 On Target stopped ahead, just off course path, a sketchy incident occurring where birds were involved, the dog flagging a bit as Squire Lee arrived. He took the dog on, Judge Law riding ahead to confer with him, handler electing to continue on with the dog.

Both dogs maintained the front for the ensuing  minutes, with an occasional foray wide to the side, Game Wardon at times to the limit, but rounding to the fore  showing pleasingly ahead.

At 52 Wardon stood just off roadway, firm and statuesque, but nothing produced here following a relocation. He used the closing minutes in the long stretch to forward roadway.

Later, it was learned that galleryites, from their vantage, saw birds wing away from the site low.

In short, his effort was forward, biddable and showy.

The runner-up, Chinquapin Bill, had the same course as the winner, but on opening day. Bill was bred by his owner, Ted Baker, whelped May 18, 2016.  His runner-up win here is his first.

Miller’s Dialing Hotline (Gary Lester)   was braced with Chinquapin Bill, handled by Ray Warren. They were off at 1:56, the twosome cutting through the forward sedge and soon past the old afternoon starting point. Hotline was pointing ahead at 20, standing in three pines that formed a triangle around the dog. Lester made a thorough flushing effort ahead and to the sides of the firmly posed pointer, then sent him to relocate. But  the dog’s industrious effort went for naught.

On ahead, Bill was pointing at 27, notching a nicely handled piece of work. Just after the half, Hotline was again pointing, looked good, staunch and certain. But Lester’s flushing effort again came up blank and the dog’s subsequent relocation also, and his bid was done.

About this time, ahead, Bill had scored again, another piece of work where he took some steps as the birds flew. His performance was unfolding well, little or no scouting, out front and responsive to his handler. At 53 Bill stood a third time off forward edge where Warren flew a large bevy for the statuesque pointer. Little time remained on the clock and the forward arena offered a lengthy expanse where Bill concluded his effort on a high note.


The cold that hit the midlands started its slow descent south, and the morning temperature for the start was near 30°.  The sky was clear and cloudless, the sun bright, the air crisp for the first brace off at 8:00 a. m. sharp.

Milestone Cora (Mark Henley) and Touch’s Smooth Operator (Rick Furney) grabbed the right line, the pair heading briskly toward forward pine line. Both were out front nicely in the opening minutes. On the approach to plantation roadway point was called and both dogs were ahead. Both handlers shot, Judge Rowell reporting he’d seen a single, but the consensus was both dogs may have been backing each other. Past the plantation roadway Cora had delved to the left, went deep where handler Mark Henley found her standing. Judge Law reported that the cover was thick and nothing was flown. On ahead on the right, point was called for Operator. Rick Furney flushed in a wide arc then came back to the dog for a relocation. Operator moved quickly through the sedge, then went on, stopping again at 28 well ahead, then moving on as Furney arrived. Just ahead, on the left, Cora had pointed. A relocation was in process, the sprightly little female bounding through the immediate cover, but to no avail, and Mark had his leash in hand. On ahead some minutes later the judges rode up right edge on Pike’s Peak, but Operator had gone to the fore. Near time Furney rode wide right, but the dog came from the front after the Cadillac pond looking for him. Time was called soon after.

Miss Stylin Sue and Dunn’s True Rendition were in No. 2, the former with Allen Vincent, the latter with Luke Eisenhart, the twosome away at 9:11, a marked difference in size, the diminutive Sue and stout Rendition. Size, however,  made no difference for Sue, as she swept ahead with the pointer male. They soon made the water tank turn, were off east, the Georgia line on the left. Both shot across large crop field after the Y intersection, and Rendition was watered near 30. Both dogs maintained the fore, little or no scouting required for the pair.

Rendition stopped at 44. After a quick ride, handler was watering the dog when the judge arrived. Both dogs continued ahead, scouts riding the flank but not needed, and the pair wove through the cover to time.

Setters Erin’s Three Leaf Shamrock and Shearjoy’s Unforsaken were down in No. 3, Sean Derrig with Shamrock, Jamie Daniels with Unforsaken. Both dogs were quickly up incline and through the pine row ahead. At 11 Derrig watered Shamrock, which then angled up left ridge where point was called. Derrig went well ahead of the dog, coming back. Just before reaching the white and black setter, a single flushed off the dog’s right shoulder, all well at flush and shot. Reportedly, the covey had flown just moments before. On ahead, the twosome flashed through the cover, not extreme but scouted. At 30 Unforsaken, on right field edge, whirled  and pointed. Birds were here for Daniels’ flush and shot, the youngster well behaved. Some minutes later both handlers signaled separate points but waved them off. Shamrock shifted gears and made a wide foray and Derrig rode, returning with the dog near 50. Both were ambitious in the closing minutes, handlers riding across wide fallow field at time. Then the call of point faintly came from the fore a few minutes after time. Judges and gallery rode, clouds of dust rising but handlers had their dogs in hand when they arrived.

No. 4 had Miller’s Dialing Hotline  and Runner-up Chinquapin Bill.

Miller’s Blindsider and Erin’s Copper River followed in No. 5, Jamie Daniels with the former and Luke Eisenhart with River. Chinquapin Bill’s commendable effort ended short of the road crossing, and the party moved there where this pair was loosed at 3:15. They moved through the initial tall sedge cover with alacrity, both standing at 14, Copper River near an impressive live oak and Blindsider about 100 yards to the left. River was moving on a relocation when Judge Rowell arrived, apprising Eisenhart that “bracemate is also pointing.”  River got wider during his relocation effort and the twosome eventually joined up and went on.  Each dog subsequently endured a periodic absence, and the judges held up near the half. Later, as time neared, Blindsider was not in sight, as Copper River ended his bid well to the fore.

Sioux Showboat and Erin’s Black List were next in No. 6. L. J. Lundstrom from Sisseton, S. D., was handling his Showboat; Sean Derrig had Black List. The pair was sent away north into large fallow field expanse. Black List speedily carried the right side, jumping off the edge to point at 3, high on both ends as Derrig rode with hat raised. The hour started on a good note when a large bevy was flown, winging toward right woodsedge. Showboat was handling pleasingly for Lundstrom, biddable and attractive moving through the cover.  Both  dogs were watered near 15. Then, at 20, Scott Jordan (down South and escaping the bitter cold of Minnesota) called point for Showboat. Lundstrom arrived to flush; when the birds flew, there was a brief pause. “Fire!” advised Jordan. The shot came quickly. Some minutes later Lundstrom had Showboat back ahead, but Black List was gone, Derrig riding in a wide swath fore and aft calling. He had him back ahead at 31, but only momentarily it seemed, because the well built pointer was soon gone again. Lundstrom had Showboat up front, then he too was gone, handler coming to the judges at 43 for his retrieval device. Derrig rode wide and far calling on Black List to no avail, and near time came past the judges and secured his retrieval unit.

Five coveys were reported seen flushing wild during the p. m. portion.

A second clear and crisp morning, 28°, and a cloudless sky as No. 7 — Maximus with Cody McLean and Hendrix’s Zip Ty with Tommy Davis — was sent away exactly at 8:00 a. m.

Similar to yesterday’s opening pair, they grabbed the right edge to the fore, then crossed at the pine line ahead and were through it in short order. Maximus made the incline to the left where Cody called point. He flushed quickly, then sent the dog to relocate, but Max headed to the front. On ahead some minutes later Tommy Davis rode toward far left woodsline calling on Ty, which appeared farther down on the line; Davis was alerted that his dog was in front. They made the plantation roadway at about 16, both forging ahead. Maximus was spotted occasionally, but at 35 McLean awaited the judges and secured his retrieval unit. A covey flushed wild near the Cadillac pond. Zip Ty was ahead, but seen infrequently,  came through the gallery at 45, connected again with Davis, then was out of sight. Near time Davis rode to the left calling, and when the judges indicated time was up he got his retrieval device, and had the dog in short order.

Jump Start and Superstition’s Final Touch followed, off at 9:12, Judd Carlton with the former, Allen Vincent with  Final Touch, Allen’s wife Lori in the gallery. The clear eastern sky was replete with contrails north-south, east-west, resembling a giant tick tack toe game. Final Touch shot ahead, Jump Start following suit, then angling left as Carlton rode that edge for the first several minutes. Final Touch wove in and out ahead, Jump Start coming through the gallery at 22, heading ambitiously to the fore, Carlton subsequently requesting his retrieval unit at 31. Final Touch made the stretch to the Boy Scout cabin where Vincent elected to take him up at 41.

Wild Hawk (Carlton) and Osceola’s Black Dial (Jason Loper) were next, up through the stand of pines on forward rise. Both were ahead in the early minutes, Black Dial pointing at 15 in flat to the right, Loper putting a nice size bevy to wing, the white and black pointer steady for wing and shot. He stood again amid sedge just a few minutes later, but nothing eventuated from Loper’s flushing effort or the dog’s relocation. Both traversed the next section in harmony with handlers. Wild Wing maintained the front with a good measure of consistency, little or no scouting to keep him in hand. At 40 Black Dial was pointing again, appeared certain, but nothing was flown from Loper’s flushing; the dog’s relocation also went for naught, and “Frank” was in harness. Wild Wing continued the balance of the hour ahead.

The afternoon start came at 1:53 with Lee’s On Target and the eventual winner, Game Wardon.

No. 11 — pointer females Henley’s Molly and Fly in the Sky — was off at 3:10, the former with Mark Henley, the latter with Gary Lester. Owner Billy Henley was on the dog wagon for Molly, and co-owners David Thompson and Tommy Loid of Edmondton, Ky., were riding for Sky. Molly got the action started at 3, pointing atop rise where Mark flew a large covey, Molly well mannered for flush and shot. Sky countered at 15, standing just off course path. Lester flushed methodically, came back near dog’s right side where the covey was situated off her right shoulder a bit to the rear, birds winging through the pines, her manners commendable.  Molly sustained periodic absences during her bid, Sky appearing with regularity. She was pointing again 43, low in front and a bit twisted. Lester made a cursory attempt to fly a bird then  sent the dog on. She was standing attractively at 52. Nothing flushed here, and when Lester sent her to relocate, she continued on, handler signaling she was up. Mark Haynes went in pursuit; when he neared her she was pointing on forward rise, birds directly in front and fanning out as they flew. Molly appeared up front, angled to the left and caught the long forward field edge, Mark apprised of her whereabouts. He rode the edge, but several minutes later returned for his retrieval device.

Shadow’s White Cross and Dakota Nation were the day’s final twosome, Robin Gates with Cross and Tommy Davis with Nation. Owners were in the gallery, Carl Bowman of Louisville, Ky., and Scott Jordan of Grant, Minn. Joe Bush, who had long scouted for Fred Rayl, had arrived earlier to be on hand for Dakota Nation’s brace. It had warmed considerably since the 28° start and handlers watered their dogs at 14. No sooner turned loose than White Cross was pointing, posed nicely as Gates canvassed the cover thoroughly, then sent the dog to relocate, but nothing came of it. Dakota Nation moved through the course smoothly, Davis riding wide at times to keep in touch, but little or no scouting was needed to keep the pointer directed. White Cross was stopped again near the half. Gates hit the whistle a time or two, the dog taking a tentative step, then went on. Robin picked him up at 36.  Dakota Nation was up front, but Davis elected to follow suit five minutes later.

The forecast called for dropping temperatures, but that did not occur before starting time, 40° at 8:00 a. m. when the dogs were loosed, but that soon changed.

Shadow’s Lord Magic and Westfall’s Red Man were off in No. 13, Carl Bowman riding for his Magic,  Bill Westfall watching from the dog truck, and Ryan scouting. Magic and Red quickly ahead and through the forward pine line. Robin Gates had Magic and Andy Daugherty with Red Man. They made the rise after large fallow field and Magic rounded to the right where point was called. He stood just inside weedy cover, but during the ride moved to his left and stood again in open pathway. He was staunch as Gates arrived. Handler moved in ahead, called birds and shot.  On across plantation road, at 23 Magic stood again, head angled to the left. Gates canvassed the immediate area, then sent the dog to relocate; a busy relocation ensued, but came up blank.  Ahead, at 29, both dogs were standing off course path to the left about ten yards apart. Red Man wanted a closer look, moved up a few steps, Daugherty issuing a stern caution. Several more steps followed, and he was done. Gates moved on with Magic.  At 33, “Point over here,” was heard, and a brisk ride back and to the side followed, but the dog was coming on when seen. He then angled left toward far woodsline as Gates rode, calling. Magic came on, then angled back toward woods, Gates riding more briskly where he and scout met at woods corner. They came to the gallery soon after with the dog on a lead.

Dubose’s Daddy Boy with Bobby Dubose and Westfall’s Castaway with Daugherty were up next, off at 8:50 a. m. Both dogs hit the front with alacrity, Daddy Boy angling to the left then coming to the fore, a recurring pattern — to the side, then coming to touch base with handler Bobby Dubose, then off again. Near the water tub on rise at about 20 Castaway veered left, Daugherty calling on him as the course turned right for the straightaway toward the Y. Judge Rowell held back. The forecasted precipitation arrived at 27. Castaway regained the front at about 35, Judge Rowell reporting a handsome find by the Westfall pointer. Both dogs made the right turn toward the Boy Scout cabin, the twosome ahead. Time was called with the cabin in sight, and the gallery went to the road.

Stash the Cash and Tee’s Wild Man were next, Gary Lester with Cash and Robin Gates with Wild Man. Owners were riding, David Thompson for Cash and Jim Baker for Man, the pair off at 10:06, quickly up forward rise, handlers keeping contact to prevent them from heading straightaway when they reached the top. Point was soon called for Cash. Lester flushed near the dog, then sent him to relocate. Cash made a quick right circle returning near to where he’d stopped initially, birds bursting away, the pointer stopping quickly, the shot following. Wild Man was aggressively covering the country, seen periodically, always ahead. Cash stood again at 14; his tail ticked a time or two as Lester worked to flush his birds. Sent to relocate, Lester had to encourage him to start the effort. Cash stopped again, tail ticking ever so slightly; was again prompted to relocate but nothing was produced. Near the half both dogs were near each other, spun and stopped, Gates from a distance asking, “See the birds?” Judge Rowell acknowledged, “No!” Both were taken on, only to be stopped again at 36, thirty yards or so separating the two, Gates taking a back, as Lester flushed in front of Cash, sent him to relocate with the same results as before and he was up. The next 20 minutes Wild Man covered wide expanse of Dixie, not in sight near time, Gates riding to the right, then reversing directions to the left as time was called, the judges later commending the dog’s strong ground effort.

Remarkably, the sun was out, clouds dissipating, but a brisk northwest wind had arrived.

The final twosome was readied for the afternoon, the sun shining but the advent of an approaching cold front presaged by the brisk northwest breeze.

Ace’s R Wild with Mark McLean and Dunn’s True Issue with  Luke Eisenhart were off at 1:51, owner Claudia McNamee, who had ridden the entire trial to this point, following her True Issue. The pair made quick work of the forward fallow field, through the pines and past the old starting point at 7.  Ace’s R Wild was pointing at 28, posed nicely, but McLean could not rouse anything. Sent to relocate, the dog made a brief canvass of the immediate area, followed by a quick turn and went to the front.  True Issue made commendable casts, arcing to the sides but swinging to the front, Tommy Davis scouting, keeping close tabs on the high stepping pointer.  Ace’s R Wild stood well to the right  amid tall sedge at 53. He again was posed positively, but nothing could be flown; his relocation came up empty. Back ahead near time, True Issue was pointing and his effort also went for naught.

Greenville, Fla., January 15

Judges: Kirk Law and Les Rowell


30 Pointers and 2 Setters

Winner—GAME WARDON, 1676189, pointer male, by Caladen’s Rail Hawk—Game Creek. Dr. Fred Corder, owner; Luke Eisenhart, handler.

Runner-Up—CHINQUAPIN BILL, 1677166, pointer male, by Chinquapin Spec—Silicone Sister. E. L. (Ted) Baker, owner; Ray Warren, handler.

A Postscript

Arriving at Dixie Plantation is a step back in time,  perhaps several steps.

The long plantation roadway off  the  highway passes the office, the old no longer used dairy barn, horse barn and the commissary where lunches are served during the trials.

Branches of venerable hundred-year old liveoaks provide an “archway” over the roadway, and the eighty-year-old Manor House, currently undergoing an ambitious restoration and improvement program, sits atop a rise.

The “Lodge,” once home of Dixie’s manager and dog trainer, George Evans, has been updated and provided comfortable and convenient accommodations for the judges and reporter.

Gloria Hagen handles the domestic responsibilities at the Lodge as she has done for more than ten years. She is also  behind the counter in the commissary at lunchtime.

At the barn, John Michael McCormick and Hunter Lewis attentively manage the horses, ensuring that all are fed and saddled for the morning and afternoon runnings.

Mike Cheely was here from Fayetteville, Ga., for the Derby competition, riding each brace and assisting with the marshalling, Paul Deloach riding each brace as well, lending a hand.

Large galleries followed the running on Monday, January 15, Martin Luther King Day, and the commissary was filled to capacity for the sumptuous hot luncheon served on Monday and Tuesday by Carter’s Catfish House in Adel, Ga.

Wednesday’s tasty fishfry luncheon was sponsored by Sportsman’s Pride and Brad Kennedy, attracting another large gathering in the commissary where everyone had their fill of the perfectly prepared fish and sides.

Pettis Alpha Bright, aka Too Bright, was behind the wheel of the dog wagon, a role he has played for several seasons. Parker Chevrolet in Ashburn, Ga., generously provided a truck for the trials. Plentiful snacks and water were on the dog truck, these provided by Plantation Supply, Rex Hodges and Mike Murphy.

Purina (through Greg Blair) has been a generous and steadfast sponsor of the Continental trials for several seasons and again provided monetary support and mementos (vests and shirts) for the judges and reporter.

As was noted in the running account, several owners/guests were “down south,”  escaping the frigid conditions in their hometowns. John Mathys of DePere, Wis., south of Green Bay, has a place about twenty minutes from Dixie. He was not planning to head home for several more weeks. His friend and guest Rich Boumeester was dodging the weather back home in Jordan, Minn., and at his place in West Tennessee.

Jerry Kolter has been wintering in Georgia for the past several seasons, escaping the frigid temperatures in Sandstone, Minn. Scott Jordan has been coming south from Minnesota for the past few years, usually spending two months or so here.

L. J. Lundstrom was escaping the weather in Sisseton, S. D., having  brought his dog to the Henleys (Billy and Mark) in Ochlocknee, Ga.

Kevin Stuart made the trip from Schenectady, N. Y., and rode one day. And Larry Garner, having completed a judging assignment at Ames Plantation, came south seeking drier weather.

Chris Mathan of Sportsman’s Cabinet renown and now managing  the AFTCA web site, watched the running from the dog wagon on day No. 2. She moved to Boston, Ga.,  a few years ago, and does not miss the winters in Maine.

Claudia McNamee, with dogs on both the major shooting dog and all-age circuit, moved from New York to Atlanta some time ago to be near  “field trial activity” in the South. She rode every brace of the stake.

Bill Westfall had a serious mishap last fall in Canada, suffering several severely broken ribs. Back home in Kansas City, doctors apprised that there was little they could do for him there. He contacted Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and  underwent a relatively new procedure that entails repairing the broken ribs with metal bands. He said he’d briefly ridden for the first time the day before, was on the mend, but it would be awhile before he is 100 per cent.

Notably absent was Dr. Terry Terlep and his wife Marilyn who usually join participants for lunch a day or two. Reportedly the good doctor had a bit of a health setback but was doing well.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.